Kgroup Discussion for Judges 8-10:5
In these two chapters we read about Gideon’s legacy. After starting well, Gideon ended up trying to act like a King. He manipulated the worship of God in order to set himself up as ruler, even building a place of false worship. His son Abimelech was even worse and caused death to thousands.
1) why is correct worship so important for us and for our children?
2) what are some of the ways we might try to “tame” God or make him into our image? Can you see some ways previous generations of Christians have done this and what was the result?
3) Chapter nine closes with: “Thus God returned the evil of Abimelech, which he committed against his father in killing his seventy brothers. And God also made all the evil of the men of Shechem return on their heads, and upon them came the curse of Jotham the son of Jerubbaal.” How can this give us hope that even out of terrible situations God will bring Justice?
4) What are some things that make you long for Justice?
5) In what ways can you see that God never gives up on his people?